7 Ways to Improve Your Vocabulary
- Develop a reading habit- make a habit of reading books and it will help you to learn different words, improve your communication skills will get numerous words to use while speaking.
- Use the dictionary and thesaurus. Online dictionaries and thesauruses are helpful resources if used properly. A full dictionary definition can also educate you about antonyms, root words, and related words, which is another way to learn vocabulary.
- Play word games. Classic games like Scrabble and Boggle can function as a fun way to expand your English vocabulary. Crossword puzzles can as well. If you really want to be efficient, follow up rounds of these word games with a little note-taking. Keep a list of the different words you learned while playing the game, and then study that list from time to time.
- Use flashcards. A quick way to build a large vocabulary is to study a number of words via flashcards. In today’s digital age, a wide array of smartphone apps makes flashcards convenient and easy to organize. Aiming for one new word a day is reasonable. You can always go for more, but it may not be reasonable to assimilate dozens of English words every single day.
- Subscribe to “word of the day”. Some web platforms will provide you with a word a day—either on a website, an app, email—to help you to expand your vocabulary.
- Practice using new words in conversation. If you come across an interesting word in your reading, make a point of using it in conversation. Also use your new words in day-to-day conversation, to improve yourself in vocabulary.